The medieval side of Vipiteno-Racines
Reifenstein in Campo di Trens near Vipiteno is one of the best preserved castles in Südtirol. It is well protected on a rocky hill and can only be reached by a pleasant, short hiking trail. Until the middle of the 13th century the episcopal ministries resided on the castle and managed the surrounding countryside from here. In 1469 it became possession of the German Order of the Knights, which it helt until the dissolution by Napoleon in 1809. Afterwards the family Thurn and Taxis became the new owners, which they're still today.